Welcome to the Dickson Preparatory STEAM Academy Health Office
A Certified School Nurse is assigned to the Dickson Preparatory STEAM Academy
Contact Information 412-731-5816 x3150 or email: coming soon
The hours of operation of the Intermediate Health Office are:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: 7:45 am - 3:15 pm
Staff will practice social distancing and remind students to maintain social distancing, properly wash hands, and wear a mask through the day.
Staff, students, and families will be trained on how to practice social distancing while providing instruction.
To help prevent catching the flu and cold, please practice the following good hygiene habits as recommended by the CDC:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds—especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. The CDC recommends that individuals remain home for a minimum of 24 hours after a fever is gone.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. Cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow if you do not have a tissue.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Take any prescribed antiviral medications as instructed.
- Any specific health concerns should be directed to your family physician or healthcare provider. Please also contact your student’s school nurse if your child has been diagnosed with a doctor-confirmed case of influenza.
- Train staff on practicing social distancing
- Dickson will provide families with a video on promoting healthy habits.
- Posters will be displayed exhibiting proper safety protocols
- Provide staff and students with personal protective equipment (PPE)
Attention Sixth Grade Parents!!!
All students entering 7th grade must have documentation in the Health Office of having had one Tdap & one MCV4 Vaccine.
Students without this information will be excluded from school on the first day of classes until documentation is received.
Uninsured students can obtain these shots for FREE at the Allegheny County Health Department---
Please contact your school nurse if your child has a medical or religious/moral exemption.
Health Status Letters are available for all students. Call or email the health office
Strep Throat is Having a Spring Fling!
Strep throat is a common type of sore throat in children. Symptoms include red & swollen tonsils (sometimes with white patches), fever of 101F or above, head & body aches and swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
Doctors can test for this illness in their office and treatment is usually 7-14 days of antibiotics. Children may return to school after taking antibiotics for 24 hours.
There is no vaccine to prevent strep throat. The best way to keep from getting strep throat is to wash your hands often and avoid sharing eating utensils like spoons & straws.
Your school nurse is a good resource for answers to questions about strep throat and other childhood illnesses.
Need to know if you should keep your child home today?
Click here for infectious disease guidelines
Immunization Requirements for all students.
Click this link to see the requirements.
Information about CHIP (Health Insurance)